The Chester Volunteer First Aid Squad originated in 1945 as a branch of the Chester Volunteer Fire Company #1 and membership was restricted to Fire Company members only. The Fire Company accepted a Ford station wagon from the Civil Defense that was converted to serve as an ambulance. In its first year, the squad handled 23 emergency calls.
In 1947, a Cadillac ambulance was purchased through the cooperation of Mr. Robert Cole and the older Ford station wagon was sold to the highest bidder. Emergency calls increased to 40 for the year.
In 1955, a base radio station and mobile sets for each piece of rolling equipment were purchased through the Civil Defense matching fund plan. The First Aid Squad also purchased an electric air horn to alert members of an emergency call.
In 1957, the First Aid Squad, with help from the Borough and Township of Chester purchased a new Cadillac ambulance. The squad handled 89 emergency calls for the year.
In 1964, the First Aid Squad purchased home receivers (plectrons) for all squad members to alert them of emergency calls.
In 1973, a new Cadillac ambulance was purchased which is still currently owned by the squad and shown in parades. The squad responded to 342 calls this year.
In the late 70's early 80's as call volumes continued to increase, it became necessary to find a better way to alert members for calls. Motorola introduced the Minitor pager, which could be worn on a members waistband and would activate for emergencies. Now members could be alerted to calls when they were away from home, without having to hear the alert horn.
In 1987, the squad became independent of the Fire Company and became the Chester First Aid Squad Inc. As a new organization starting at financial ground level, the Chester Lions Club generously donated a new $65,000 ambulance and membership was opened to any Chester resident.
In 2004, Chester Township acquired the "Highlands Ridge Park" (former Bell Labs Telcordia property) on North Road. Chester Township generously offered a part of the main building on that property to the squad for use as a station. The squad moved from the firehouse annex to the building in March of 2005. The new building provided much needed space for storage and expansion.
In 2011 the squad launched its “EMT’s on Bikes” program, placing a pair of EMT’s on two off road capable bicycles. They patrol areas subject to heavy crowd/traffic conditions to provide more rapid medical care when an ambulances arrival may be otherwise delayed. A nice side benefit is that it gives our members some exercise and allows us the opportunity to interact with the community a little more.